Saturday, April 24, 2010

napowrimo - 24 find a phrase

Sayings.

The things that we as children learn

Into our heads return return
Whenever there's a tricky spot
Or when I can't connect the dot
Into my mind quite forcefully strays
Some proverb or some ancient phrase.
So much in life I can't recall
Mum's pet sayings, I know them all!
Translating them won't be that quick
In german they oft do the trick!
Whenever you think that all is lost
From somewhere a light shines forth.
Tomorrow tomorrow just not today
Is what all the lazy people say.
Other countries other ways
Gold in the mouth at break of days.
Lies may have short legs indeed.
Time brings the advice you need.
Dig a trap for others and you'll fall in
Don't wait for tomorrow but today begin.
Pound foolish and penny wise
Man thinks, but let God advise.
Eavesdropping could make you blush
You'll trip over if too fast you rush
If you let the devil drive
You'll for sure be trapped alive.
What's not imprinted in your head
Wears out your legs instead.
With patience and a lot of spit
Each mozzie you'll send to the pit.
Drink beer then wine
And you'll be fine
Drink wine then beer
Makes you sick I fear.
Where there is a will there's a way for sure
An apple a day brings a certain cure.
But the most disturbing saying I can't forget
Must have heard it oft as it's in my head.
Hens that crow and girls that whistle
Best break their necks their tune to fizzle.
LOL

©Ingeborg. April 2010

5 comments:

lucychili said...

yes my nana knew this saying
she also whistled =)

Rallentanda said...

This must be a Melbourne thing!

J. D. Mackenzie said...

Ingeborg, my Swiss granny is smiling, she had a closet full of these and they warm my heart.

flaubert said...

Good one!
Pamela

Ingeborg said...

Thanks all for your comments :) No it's not a Melbourne thing. I was born in Germany so these are german sayings roughly translated into English lol. Ingeborg.