Sunday, April 18, 2010

napowrimo-april-17th-elemental

I am a few days behind. Not feeling great but I want to do them all so will fit in those missed out as I get a chance :).

Fire.


Mesmerized by it's beauty
Comforted by it's warmth
Drawn by its flickering
I can spend hours
In quiet meditation
Whilst brewing my tea
Cooking my stew
Doing nothing at all!
All it asks for is
Oxygen to breathe
Fuel for food.
Mankind since time immemorial
Has found in it a pal.
One that can suddenly turn
With fury and speed
Devour and destroy
Maim and disable
Like no other
Force of nature.
Ash covered ground
Black barren trees
Piles of rubble
Burnt out cars
Incinerated bodies
Desolation.
Memorials instead of Funerals
Grief indescribable
Dejection, despair.
Ominous silence
Once helicopters depart,
Their quenching water
No threat to this raging foe.
It will run it's course
All hoping the wind
Will turn it on itself.
But even this destructive force
Is the agent for new life
For thousands of years
Trees have survived
Their spores releasing seed
Only in the scorching heat
Of the terrible fire storm.
Enemy and friend
Burning to the end!

© Ingeborg. April 2010

No comments: