Wednesday, April 28, 2010

napowrimo-28 - Intuition

Finally the penny dropped.


So many people have told me before
Calories consumed, the body will store.
Anything that it cannot burn
Once consumed to fat will turn.
This fact I know so very well
That lots of sermons I could tell.
Yet still I eat and wonder why
Each year widen, waist and thigh.
One day I read straight from a book
An idea was formed at very first look
Mathematically it's quite easy to see
Calories in minus out remained in me.
Yet still when I wrote my weekly report
To the coach who was fast with his retort
I found many a piece of cheesy pie
Consumed as soon as it caught my eye.
All sorts of reasons I could find
Fooled myself and dulled my mind.
My teacher though I didn't trick
He casually replied real quick.
You can eat your tart and still stay slim
Don't even need to head to the gym
If for each slice that you consume
You grab your boots and leave your room,
Two hours you march for a portion small
Should be long enough to burn it all!
That's all it took for the aha light
To finally understand this right
Now each time I see my favourite food
I ask myself, am I in the mood
To walk the time that it will take
To burn the calories in that cake!
Most of the time I'm too horrified
Against this transgression I decide!

© Ingelborg. April 2010

8 comments:

Stan Ski said...

You can't have you cake and eat it.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes you can, Stan, if you follow the advice in the poem. I did enjoy that - how true and how soul destroying for a silly old bat to decrepit to walk for two hours but addicted to cake and chocolate!
One line I didn't understand:
"Calories in minus out remained in me."

Ingeborg said...

well Stan you can if you are willing to sweat for it.
Yes viv .. the equation is:
Calories remaining in me turning into fat = Calories eaten minus calories burnt.

So if you eat more than you burn....you're in trouble :) Ingeborg.

Robin said...

Liked that Ingeborg. Great rhyme, fun poem.

When I tell my son the expression "you can't eat your cake and eat it, too," he always asks why he'd want the cake if he can't eat it. I think he's got a great point!
: )

Unknown said...

Fun poem Ingeborg but it's quite put me off my lunch!

Anonymous said...

Clever poem. Especially liked:
"I eat and wonder why
Each year widen, waist and thigh."

Dan said...

Like I told my two-timing friend,

"You can't have your Kate and Edith too."

flaubert said...

This is good.I love cake!
Pamela